Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Silver Lining

I have a sad story to tell.

I missed my flight to Osaka last night. To quote Emily Dickinson, i am a kin to bad luck.

I have a connecting flight from Sandakan - Kuala Lumpur - Osaka last night. Knowing Airasia's reputation, i wisely arranged for 12 hours transit just to be safe. But who knows that even 12 hours was not enough. My flight from Sandakan was initially at 1200 hours and i was suppose to fly to Osaka at 0100 hours the next day, but fate decided to have fun with me and had me missed the plane. The story was, Airasia re-timed my flight at 1200 hours to 1620 hours. But 1620 was still okay for me cause i will able to catch the following flight. Then the dice was thrown again and this time i was informed that the plane suffered some technical difficulties and my flight delayed until 2200 hours. If i were to wait until 2200 hours i knew for sure that my hope of being at Osaka the next day was toasted. So i have requested for an earlier flight which supposed to leave Sandakan at 2105 hours. That way i still can catch my next flight cause Sandakan - Kuala Lumpur journey is approximately 3 hours. For your info, Sandakan have only 3 flights daily to Kuala Lumpur. By reserving a seat for the 2105 hours flight, i thought i was saved. But fate wasn't done with me. Again, the 2105 hours flight was delayed for an hour due to weather difficulties and i knew that i'm officially toasted. But you see, i'm the kind of person that believe in miracle. So i boarded the plane anyway, hoping that the plane to Osaka suffered some delay as well. But poor me.

The fact that the plane leave without me was the climax in my sad story. But that was not the complete sad story. There were still some cherries and peanuts along with the main course. For instance, before flying to Kuala Lumpur, i met my boss at Sandakan airport. Oooo..it was awkward! I'm not talking about my superior, or my manager, the boss i see everyday at work. I'm talking about the Big Boss, the CEO, the owner of the company i'm working at. And if the boss is a guy i can easily turned the meeting around by just being cute (don't judge me), but that is not the case. This is a She-Boss. So i decided to just be myself and not a kiss-a**. Our immediate conversation was about the reason why i'm leaving her company. Couldn't be more awkward than that, right?

Right now, i still have 10 hours before my flight to Osaka, so i'll just continue torturing your brain with my story. Don't hate me, i'm so lonely that i have no one to talked to. So, just bear another half an hour with me, okay?

So, let us continue. After the dangerous encounter with my boss, the flight to Kuala Lumpur was no pleasant journey either. Why? Because i was seated between 2 guys. The guy on my right was a Gorilla,he was so big that his elbow was sticking at my waist during the entire 3 hours flight. The guy on my left was a skinny guy but he seems to emit funny smell in every 10 minutes! I have no idea what the smell was but my guess would be fart. He did went to the toilet a few times during the flight. And i thought to myself that i can turned the things around so i tried to empty my mind and meditate but the baby seated at the back wont allowed me doing so. The baby was crying every half an hour that i can only feel sorry for the parents. So instead of meditating, i was chanting "silver lining" in my mind during the whole flight.

After reaching Kuala Lumpur, i was not surprised to find that the flight to Osaka already departed. The surprising thing was to find i was actually calmed about it. It was 0130 hours in the morning and there were no officers available to help me. I was told that the officers in charged were to start work at 0430 hours. By that time i was already tired of waiting and i don't think i can wait another 3 hours just to be told that there are no flight available for me the next day. So i decided to take the matter on my own. I booked the next available flight to Osaka with Malaysia Airlines on my phone.

So the next thing to do was to get a rest before my flight. I walked to the nearest Tune Hotel which is 7 minutes away, dragging my luggage through the rough concrete walkway, only to find out that there was no vacant room. Can you imagine how frustrated i am that time? So i have no choice but to walk back to the airport to catch a taxi to any available hotel. It was almost 2.00 am and the walkway was dark. You have to go through a kilometre of dark parking lot and i was hearing a few creepy whistles along the way. In a dark walkway like that, crime is just a thing that waiting to happen. And i never stop chanting "silver lining" the whole time.

And now that i have my rest, ate my breakfast, safe and comfortable in Concorde Inn, i'm beginning to think whether if thing is finally going back on the right track, or it is just the calm before the storm.

But fate, i beg you, joke no more.