Friday, July 1, 2011

My Wealth

I have a new quote that i wish to live by, and that is,


"IT DOESN'T MATTER HOW MUCH YOU EARN,
IT MATTERS HOW MUCH YOU SAVE"


It struck me, that at the age of 30, i am still far from being wealthy. I have come across this blog saying that wealth isn't how much you earn, it's what you save. His idea is simple, the first step to secure your future wealth is to invest in yourself and your assets. Cars and electronics are not assets. Anything that losses value is not asset. I just know about this. And i thought i owned a lot.

The first thing to do when you received your paycheck is to set aside a certain amount of money for you to invest in yourself or asset. But i don't like the idea of investing money in any financial programme. Call me stupid but i don't trust the bank. I rather dig up hole in my backyard and put my money in it. Don't bother finding my house now as i have nothing but debts hanging around my neck.

I'm ashamed to say this but i have to admit that my current net worth is NEGATIVE. Too bad, acknowledging that doesn't set me free. But at least now that my eyes are opened, i will start to spend wisely (yeah, good luck with that!). No, i mean i will be more careful and meticulous with my money. And to prove that i'm serious about this, this month i have set aside a quarter (or less) of my paycheck for saving. I will restrain myself from spending it. Come hell or high water. I won't.

From my calculations, if i were to dedicate myself into saving and paying off debts only, by 2014 i will be living as a free man. Well i have to exclude the house loan.

So, from now on i have to live with the stingy badge on my sleeves. I have to question every ins and outs. Not a cent can escape from my sights. You know, i used to loathe person with this kind of attitude. Little did i know that i must someday become one. And now i look at the person that i used to mock, they indeed has the last laugh.

But that's okay, cause mistakes are part of being human.

So friends, let us start saving from now on.

Like the Malay proverbs "save little by little, one day it'll become a mountain"

Sikit-sikit, lama-lama jadi bukit.